A dynamic, growing museum of regional Jewish history and culture, seeks a part-time Reference Assistant. to provide high-quality remote assistance to researchers. They will take an active role in promoting the Museum’s archives, library, and objects collection.
Reporting to the Archivist, and with the support of the Executive Director and Deputy Director, you will be responsible for:
- Managing JMM’s remote reference program, providing research assistance via email and phone
- Assisting in-person researchers (by appointment)
- Filling image requests, handling permissions to publish, and responding to copyright inquiries
- Assisting the Archivist and Collections Manager with supervision of Collections volunteers and interns
- Assisting colleagues with research, including contributing to JMM’s podcast, exhibits, and other museum-created content
- Contributing to Collections Department outreach efforts
- Executing special projects and duties as assigned by the Executive Director, Deputy Director, and Archivist
What You Will Possess to Be Successful
- An eye for detail with an ability to see the full picture
- An ability to work both independently and in a team setting
- A drive to execute projects and tasks in a timely manner
- You will exemplify our core value of continuous learning. You will partner with team members on agreed expectations about the work we need them to do to support and fulfill our mission as well as how the team will accomplish the work.
- Your success will be directly connected to how well your team feels supported.
- You will care and attend to the relational dynamics of process while caring for the quality of the product.
- You will value connections with members of the public and will commit to representing the museum with care.
- Experience with reference work in an archival repository
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of Maryland’s Jewish history is a plus
- MLIS or equivalent combination of training and experience preferred
- Experience with PastPerfect CMS or similar database is a plus
Schedule: Part time, 20 hours per week
Job ID10723 RA