A non-profit, supporting person with disabilities in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, is seeking a Full-time Director of Development to add to its Executive Leadership Team to help us accomplish our goals. It is an exciting time to join the team, as we have recently revised our mission to include serving children in addition to adults, to place a larger emphasis on community inclusion, and to expand the types of disabilities that it supports. The ideal candidate for this position is a dynamic development professional with a proven track record of setting and achieving fundraising goals, exceptional communication skills, and the ability to work with great levels of autonomy as well as within a team environment. All candidates must also fully embrace, and have to ability to rally others to embrace, nonprofit’s mission to support youth and adults with disabilities to experience full inclusion in their communities as they learn, work, and pursue their paths to personal success.
The Director of Development will be a key member of Leadership Team and will work closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors. The primary responsibilities of this position include 1) raising funds for annual operating purposes, capital projects, and other special projects through close collaboration with the CEO, the board of directors, and other staff; 2) developing constituencies through a comprehensive program of cultivation and recruitment of community leaders and stakeholders; and 3) managing all formal marketing and communications for the organization.
- Raise funds for operations, capital projects, and other special projects through innovative and traditional methods, including:
- Enhancement of annual giving program, including online, direct mail, and other activities
- Establishing and administering a planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts
- Growing a major gifts program to include identification, cultivation, and solicitation of major donors
- Coordinating successful annual fundraising events
- Research and identify opportunities for grants, assist with grant writing, and track and oversee reporting requirements.
- Develop annual development budget, articulating projected income and expenses, in collaboration with CEO, and monitor throughout the year.
- Establish annual development calendar of events and activities; adhere to timelines and recruit volunteers and staff to assist with projects and campaigns to maximize efforts and impact.
- Stay current on trends, best practices, and essential laws and regulations impacting nonprofit fundraising.
- Maintain active membership in relevant networking and business associations; represent nonprofit at events.
- Partner with, and motivate, the board of directors and other volunteers to be effective fundraisers.
- Develop and implement strategies to build a broad base of supporters beyond the board who will be advocates of solicitors for, and donors to nonprofit.
- Works collaboratively with the staff and board of directors to recognize and leverage opportunities for prospect and funder cultivation.
- Manages cultivation activities and programs to increase awareness and involvement of community members and public officials in affairs of nonprofit.
- Create naming opportunities, match prospects, and design annual giving incentives to corporations, foundations, and individuals.
- Implement systems to research, cultivation, recognition, and stewardship of donors and prospects.
- Establish and monitor appropriate record keeping systems for timely and accurate processing, reporting, acknowledging, and collecting of gifts.
- Maintains accurate accounting of all gifts (unrestricted & restricted) to fulfill information requests, grant deliverables, and to ensure reporting accuracy.
- In coordination with other staff, develop constituent communication strategies, and oversee consistent and engaging online presence including website, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc.
- Nominate nonprofit and/or its employees for awards and recognition opportunities, to increase visibility and enhance reputation.
- Hire, train, supervise and mentor additional marketing and development staff as warranted.
- Assist CEO in coordinating, planning for, and facilitating board and committee meetings.
- Participate as an active member of Leadership Team.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience in fundraising or development.
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred; HS diploma plus experience may be substituted for postsecondary education.
- Minimum of 2 years of supervisory experience.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising principles and demonstrated success in building and maintaining relationships with donors through cultivation and stewardship.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as strong skills related to teambuilding and working collaboratively across departments.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Familiarity with Anne Arundel County philanthropic community strongly preferred.
Benefits: Comprehensive Benefit package, including fully paid medical health insurance for employee, matching 403b, and 22 days of PTO to start).
Schedule: Full-time; Hybrid
Zip code: 21108
Job ID: #64163DD